Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Re: Digital vs Chemical prints OT
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:58:01 -0500

Jim,

Congratulations are in order to Ms. Buenning. I'll bet it wasn't just
because the prints were RA4 that she opened eyes and won acclaim. :)

I received a nastygram off line because I opined that digital is preferable
to RA4. I wasn't advising anyone to pour out their RA4 chemistry. I just
disliked printing RA4 for various reasons. It wasn't unusual for me to spend
an entire day on one print, most of it waiting for proofs to process. Fuji
Supergloss is nice paper, though. Is that now Crystal Archive?

I visit galleries all the time. Portland has lots of wonderul galleries in a
fairly well contained downtown area. I'm astounded by what I see these days.
It's difficult to tell what's what. It probably shouldn't matter, but I'm
always curious as to the print medium used.

Quality digital printing doesn't come easily. It's nice to have options.
Probably smart to pick just one method and run with it. Requires time to
master anything.

Dave

PS I'll be in the City this weekend. Is here work on display at FOP.

>>My photography colleague and swim partner, Angela Buenning, uses between
four and five liters of RA4, in my darkroom, per week. She prints a lot of
20x24's, some 16x20's and a few 11x14's. All on Fuji Crystal Archive paper.

Last week she had a portfolio review at the Friends of Photography in San
Francisco. One of the main reviewers was Judy Dater. Angela got a
resounding review. Judy and the other reviewers were blown away with her
20x24's. Judy's comments included "wow! this is really hot! and "wow! those
20x24's are stunning!"<<<