Subject: Re: [Leica] A Plea For Aid! Brian: DO NOT READ!
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:02:14 -0700

I didn't read it and I won't, but please recall my explanation of a
week or two ago that my computer setup is limited by time and not
money. While I am honored by what I saw as a plan to help get more disk
space, the issue isn't money.

But I have been working on the problem, and I have some good news for
LUG and Rollei folks. No need to read on unless you are interested in
the do-it-yourself ramblings of an old-time datacomm geek.

(Besides the camera servers that you folks know about, I also run some
 Anglican church servers. I've gotten to the point where they no longer
 physically fit into my home office. )

When I remodeled my house in 1986 I installed two 1-inch conduits from
the garage to the house, thinking that someday I would need to install
computers in a room in the garage, but in the 15 years since that time,
earthquakes have destroyed both conduits--I can't even get compressed
air through them in either direction.

So, over the past month I have trenched from the garage to the house
and run a new underground conduit that is 1/2-inch PVC inside hardwall
1.25-inch conduit. The conduit-within-conduit is designed to be more
earthquake-proof. About an hour ago I finished, with the help of my
13-year-old nephew, the fishing of a 60-meter Category 6 cable through
the new conduit.

I believe that the only members of the LUG I have met in person are Jim
Brick and David Labovitz, and I haven't seen David in 20 years, but Jim
probably noticed that, um, I don't have the sort of body tone that
makes trenching for earthquake-proof conduit an easy task. I'm beat.

As soon as I recover and have some lemonade (it is hot here) I intend
to crimp some RJ45's onto the ends of this cable and run a TDR test to
make sure it is working. Then I will connect it to the house ethernet
and get a hub online in the garage. (A TDR is a Time Domain
Reflectometer; it's an instrument that sends a pulse down a wire, waits
for an echo, and analyzes the echo in great detail to learn about the
characteristics of the wire).

I have also just bought a Chatsworth rack
  ( http://www.chatsworth.com/catalog/page15.asp )
and some shelves for it
  ( http://www.chatsworth.com/catalog/page39.asp )
and as soon as I satisfy myself that I know what I am doing I am going
to drill four holes in the concrete floor of my garage, bolt the rack
to the floor, attach an earthquake brace at the top
  ( http://www.chatsworth.com/catalog/page167.asp )

Once all this is done I will have a room in the garage into which I can
install server computers. I will then have physical room to install the
larger chassis that I need to hold the larger server that will have
more disks that will be able to support the LUG for a long time.

In fact, I'll have so much disk space that I might even be able to
offer PAW image hosting to LUG members. I am really inspired by Kyle
Cassidy's determination (to say nothing of his photographic skills) and
if I can't produce pictures as nice as those, perhaps the least I can
do is make it easier for others of you to show off your pictures.

Brian Reid