Subject: Re: [Leica] film
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 9 Jun 2001 13:26:24 -0700

On Sat, 09 June 2001, "G. Michael Paine" wrote:

> I am new here. I notice that most of the posts seem to be in regard
> to hardware. So excuse me if this post would be better off directed
> elsewhere.

<SNIP>
> I am now back to a full blooded Leica,
> M6.  I need some comments and/or guidance.
> Would someone be so kind as to point me to a source(s), comments
> etc., on current slide films, and some on B&W.
> A note: I notice that a lot of the photography in the Natl.,
> Geographic, of late, seems to be on Fuji film rather than Kodachrome.
> The film, whose spelling escapes me right now starts with a V. I
> would like to know about a serious alternative to Kodak.
> Thanks for any guidance.
> Michael

Michael,

Kodachrome is out of favor partly because realistic colors are out of style (Vs. Fujichrome Velvia and E100VS) and also because K14 processing is far less accessible than the E6 used by Ektachromes and Fujichromes.  I don't have tight deadlines and I like Kodachrome's color palette and dark-storage archiveal properties so that's what I use.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe