Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 shutter-release problem
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 08:43:23 EDT

Dans un courrier daté du 09/06/01 12:49:29 Paris, Madrid (heure d'été),
leicameter@hotmail.com a écrit :

> >>I have a problem with the shutter release of a used M6 that I just
>  >>bought by mail.
>  >>
>  >>Does anyone know if this is a simple adjustment that I, carefully,
>  >>could do as a user with a reasonable understanding of mechanics but
>  >>modest experience in camera repair? Would any special tools be
>  >>needed? Would I run a high risk of destroying something.
>

>  >
>  >It's fairly simple, and if your camera has nothing else that needs
>  >looking at, then you might do it yourself if you are handy and have a
>  >good set of small tools. If you take off the cover (with the film
>  >the shutter button. It engages the actual release mechanism by
>  >sliding along a sloped piece right by the winder cog. You will see
>  >that the lateral position of this long spring arm is what governs the
>  >release point, and the two big screws held by loktite near the other
>  >end (film cassette end) hold the spring arm in place. You will have
>  >to loosen these two screws, move the spring arm very slightly, and
>  >retighten and re-loktite these screws. I should only take an
>  >experienced technician 5 minutes to do the job, as no other
>  >disassembly is required.
>  >
>  >Hope this helps.
>  >
>  >--
>  >    *            Henning J. Wulff
>

>  There are some precautions you should take when attempting this
adjustment.
>  Firstly those little screws that hold the cover plate on are very, very
tiny

>  and easy to lose, therefore I suggest that you place a light colored
blanket

>  or towel on the table that you will be using to work on the camera. Then
if
>  you drop one of the little screws it won't go bouncing off the table never
>  to found again. Secondly be very careful not to dislodge or drop the ultra
>  thin shims that are held in place at one end of the camera by two of the
>  aforementioned screws which go through the cover plate and through
locating
>  holes in these shims. If you drop those shims you will have a devil of a
job

>  trying to line them up again. These shims are used to get the right height
>  for the main base plate catch mechanism.
>
>  You then will have to move the long leaf spring slightly (and I mean ultra
>  slightly) towards the back of the camera i.e. the back flap side.
>  Tighten the two large leaf spring retaining screws and try your shutter
>  release. You may have to adjust the leaf spring again to get it right. If
>  you move the leaf spring too far away from the back of the camera, it will
>  fire when you wind the shutter. When you get it right do as Henry
suggested
>  and place a very tiny, tiny amount of loctite on the two leaf spring
> [...]

I've done the adjustment with great success .
It's a real pleasure to use a Leica M6 with the softness of an M4.
I like very sensible cameras , cause I think it improves the ability
to shoot at low speeds handheld .
But there is a word of caution I would like to write down .

Once you've removed the back plate ( the one with the loading drawing ) ,
put one screw back in place , to retain those shims in place .
This will allow you to try and fit the camera , holding it normaly and
shooting.
Also remove the back door out of the way , there is a spring easily pulled
with
a small pick .( put the pick where the small cruciform screw is and pull on
the side .

But , more importantly , be very carefull when you unscrew the 2 screws
retaining
the flat spring . On the other side of the screw closest to the back door ,
there is a
small brass nut . This nut is NON CAPTIVE .
Although this screw actually fits to a thread on some kind of frame , the nut
is there ,
and if you unscrew that one too much , the nut might fall into the camera .
If this happens , don't panic .
Turn your M6 on the normal position and let the nut fall down.
You can put it back on place with a small L shaped piece of flat metal (
Taken out of an
old car wiper ) . Hold the nut with a dab of paint and maintain it on place ,
then engage
your screw in it .
Your 2 spring screws can be locked with paint instead of loctite ( loctite
can sometimes
be much too strong for the application .)
You also might put a very small amount ( very very very small ! ) of grease
on the extremety
of the actuator spring touching the release mecanism .
Don't drink more than 2 beers before doing that and certainly no coffee !
Chears

JO GOODTIMES -FRANCE/ AIRBORNE RADAR TECH / LIVE FREE OR DIE
will soon walk with mud covered combat boots...