Subject: RE: [Leica] 28 mm M Lens recommendation
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:03:42 -0500

Dan

I don't know if I said it was my favorite. I may have. It's certainly my
favorite in one respect. Optically, I think it's the best lens I've ever
used. Mine isn't even the latest version, but the 3rd version that takes
49mm filters.

I hesitate to bring up the issue of sample variation, but I the planets
lined up on my particular lens. I noticed it was special right away. It was
the first Leica lens I ever bought new. I just assumed that all the new
Leica lenses were special.

My line of thinking isn't based on any type of scientific measurement. It's
based on looking at hundreds and hundreds of slides, and printing hundreds
of negs over the years. I have several 28 Elmarit slides that people
invariably ask, "Which lens did you use to take that?"

I use the 35/1.4 ASPH more because it's two stops faster, and I consider it
to be my standard M lens. Most often it stays on one M6; and the 50/1.4 on
another. I switch to the 28 when I need it. Same with the 21.

Dave