Subject: Re: [Leica] 500mm Mirror Lens
From: ken@iisaka.org
Date: 6 Jun 2001 16:16:12 -0700

On Wed, 06 June 2001, Rolf Katzenstein wrote:

> What is the prevailing opinion about the 500 mirror lens in terms of
> quality. How much should it cost? Thanks

Being a catadioptic system, it is difficult to obtain the same level of performance as conventional optical systems.  The contrast is frequently low, and its poor light transmission results in a T(ransmission)-number of 11, if not lower.

For the cost of a 500mm lens, I would instead opt for the excellent Telyt 1:6.8/400mm or 560mm lenses.  The former can often be bought for less than $500 US.  Because of the simple 1 group / 2 elements system, its T-number may be better than many complex 1:5.6/400mm telephoto designs.

For more information, go to LUG's resident Telyt expert's page at:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/400R68.HTM