Subject: [Leica] Photoshop LE 4 vs. 5
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:16:39 -0700

I have been playing with Photoshop LE 4.0 for several months.  Last week
I actually printed out the PDF manual from disk so I'd have a hard copy
to read.  So wouldn't you know it, I just got a copy of Photoshop LE
version 5.0 with the Wacom Graphire pen and tablet I just bought.

Does anyone have a "differences between version 4 and version 5"
document they could email me?  Are versions 4 and 5 sufficiently
different that I would need to print the newer manual?

I plan to use Photoshop mostly with "Nathan's self-imposed limits"--to
do digitally only what I could do in a wet darkroom, plus unsharp mask.

LE seems fine for my needs.  The only thing I *really* wish I had from
the full version is multi-level undo, and even that can be worked around
by making "CYA" TIFF copies between commands.

Has anyone tried "Photoshop Elements" yet?  It seems to be Adobe's
marketing equivalent of a "6 LE," but targeted at the beginner to
intermediate-level amateur and digital camera snapper.  Easier to use,
more automated, and a lot of help popups and so-called "creative"
gimmicks.  Perhaps Adobe was concerned that they were giving away the
$600 store with $99 Limited Edition!

Thanks,
- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA