Subject: Re: [Leica] Focussing the Summilux 75
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 08:05:54 -0700

>Dear Luggers,
>I took the above lens to Schmidt with my M6HM TTL and my
>Summilux 50mm (for comparison) together with 5 pictures illustrating the
>close
>focusing problem chosen from the 5 rolls I have shot with the lens over the
>last few days.
>[snip]
>Regards,
>Howard Cummer.

The 75 Summilux is a lens I have considered getting at some point; I just
really like the idea of a fast lens in that range, with that unique
fingerprint. But I must say that the various reports we've heard about
focus being off, and having to have the lens matched to the body, etc., is
kind of off-putting. Add to that the price, which is among the highest for
M lenses, and it all adds up to an expensive and potentially problematic
lens.

Is there a general problem here, or are the cases we hear about "the
exceptions"? Is this something that could be avoided by testing the lens
before purchasing it (is that even practical), or is it pretty much a crap
shoot?

Guy