Subject: Lens tolerances was RE: [Leica] 35mm R Lens recommendation
From: David Prakel <dgp@btconnect.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 08:50:41 +0100

on 5/6/2001 7:48 pm, David Rodgers at
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us wrote:

>>> In a nutshell, the 35/1.4 - R is the best 35 lens I have used, including
> the 35/1.4-M asph.  But perhaps I was just lucky with the one I got.<<
>
> This brings up an interesting point regarding sample variations. Years ago I
> had 3 Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS lenses. One was noticably superior to the other two;
> so much so that I could pick out photographs I made with that lens.

Flashback to the 60s. There was a good deal of laughter in the camera shop
when my father took home their entire stock of new Nikkor 50mm f2s to test
and select the one he would keep. There wasn't much laughter when they saw
the results of the best of the bunch! I learned an important lesson.

A further baffling observation: I have owned a Canadian M-Summilux 35mm f1.4
since the early 80s and it is probably the one lens I would not part with -
even for another 35mm Summilux. On the strength of its performance a good
friend cleaned out his piggy bank to buy a lightly used M6 and an original
Summilux 35mm f1.4 ASPH. His lens is best described as an occasional
performer! He is plagued by vignetting and strangely shallow depth of field
as well as adequate but not startling resolution from his theoretically
'better' lens. I can only think I've got a lens from the top of the
tolerance range and he's got a dog.

- --
David G Prakel