Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Warranty & New vs. Used
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 17:46:09 -0700

>Guy
>
>>>Just what are the manufacture/importer pricing policies of Leica gear for
>the US and Hong Kong and how they are different from those of France and
>Australia?<<
>
>Would that be official policy? In my experience, profitability and cash flow
>are strong business drivers; as is protecting the dealer network. I'll bet
>balancing the two was easier before the age of enlightenment and free
>enterprise. Or should I say, before Shutterbug!
>
>Dave

My comment above was made regarding Austin's assertion that Leica gear
costed more in the U.S. than anywhere else, which is simply not true. When
that was pointed out to him, he responded that he wasn't talking about
government taxes but manufacturer/importer pricing policies, hence my
question, which went unanswered.

In France, a new M6 body costs 18,890FF (as advertised in Leica Magazine),
which comes to about $2068USD, and this is before taxes (with taxes it
costs the equivalent of $2474.USD). Last time I checked, $2068. was more
than $1995., which is what the same M6 body will cost you in the US, where
you can take $200 off that price thanks to the current rebate, you get a 3
year warranty, and - if you buy out of state - you don't pay any sales tax.

Enough said?

Guy

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (RE: [Leica] Re: Warranty & New vs. Used)