Subject: Re: [Leica] What do you do with your Images?
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 10:39:16 -0500

john@pinkheadedbug.com (Johnny Deadman)6/4/0110:22 AM

> It sounds like a cool idea but I'd have thought any tiny
framing error would
> knock your focus out drastically even at f/64! Does it actually
work??

For starters the 35mm Eurygon only stops down to f:16. Is the
focus critical? Oh yeah! But if the subject is "on" the plane of
the wire it is in perfect focus. Yes, it works.

As far as "tiny framing error" I don't understand where that
would come in. It's all locked down on the camera, verified on
the ground glass. The only variable is movement of the subject,
wind etc. And I'm getting around some of those issues with
miniature clamps which are actually, with some subjects, locking
the subject to the camera/frame as well. What has been very
frustrating and time consuming has become a quick pleasure.

> I still say scan the bug.

Taking the scanner out into the world would require a $14 -
$20,000 BetterLight back or something like that. And further, for
what ever it's worth, something magical occurs when I use this
set up, having not looked through a ground glass or even a
rangefinder, but simply composing on this tiny, little stage set
- - then, in the darkroom, when the lights go on, I see this
remarkable total surprise, for the first time. Delightful!

George