Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 11:10:03 -0700

Careful Steve.. the Dollar Mark relationship is now very much in favor of
Leica...... They make more Marks then they did a year ago for selling the
same camera......I don't see them offering to lower the price to the same #
of Marks as they did a year ago... they charge the same dollar figure.... so
where do the other marks go?  Profits.

The issue of costs in the USA vs somewhere else is preposterous.... the
overall P+L of these Leica Satellite outfits, like Leica USA is Leica GMBH.
If they recoup their costs here or spread them over the entire world, the
cost basis is the same..... SO why is it that Hong Kong has SUBSTANTIALLY
lower resale prices than USA ?

Doesn't Hong Kong have the cost burden of repair, etc.?

Nonsense to this argument of local costs... it is a parochial practice of
mostly European and Japanese companies that have multi level profit centers.
If you were really concerned about the market and especially the consumer,
there would be world Wide pricing and support as the only rational approach
to international companies.... 1 resale price to the world.  1 warranty to
the world.

Yes, I buy USA Passport, Gray market new, and Used from both individuals and
dealers.  It depends on what I expect from THAT piece of equipment.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net