Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V20 #56
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:42:13 -0700

I am also a fan of the old 90/4 Elmar, since I own one, coated, from the
early 50s.  I have no objective comparison of this lens and other Leica
lenses.  The defense stipulates that of course, the new 90/2 ASPH and
current 90/2.8 is of course far superior, blah blah blah.

BUT at outdoor picture-taking apertures, the old Elmar does just
fine.  I've got scads of old Kodachromes taken with it, and I've never felt
deprived even if I go right up to the screen.  I also never hesitate to use
it wide-open at its whopping f/4.

         see http://www.2alpha.net/~pklein/italy/muse.htm

One caveat, though, on color pictures, it's distinctly "colder" than my
other lenses, and can benefit from the slightly pink skylight filter (not
to be confused with a UV filter, which of course I will not bring up).

I'm curious how the old 90/4 Elmar and the 60's-70's classic 90/2.8 Elmarit
compare, aside from the one stop advantage.  Has anyone ever compared these
lenses?  The old Elmarit is said to be better than the Tele-Elmarit, which
I once also owned (fat version).

Does anyone have comparisons of these older lenses?

- --Peter