Subject: Re: [Leica] Movement of Aperture Ring on Summicron-M 90 APO
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 15:51:36 -0700

Anthony wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> > Mine is all work no play which i believe is
> > all should tolerate from a lens.
>
> I made the mistake of reading this before going to sleep.  Now I'm going to be
> in a poor mood until I get this resolved.
>
> > Someones going to have to pry it off your camera
> > out of your hands to bring it in to be I'm sure
> > quickly fixed.
>
> Should it be _fixed_ or _replaced_?  It is only a few days old.  I have no
> experience with Leica repair specifically, but my general experience is that the
> only place that knows how to assemble or adjust anything correctly is the
> factory, and a service organization invariably does at best a so-so job.  Also,
> it seems that every time something is disassembled for service, it's going to be
> a little more worn out than it would be otherwise just from the wear and tear of
> the service, and that seems like a significant loss for a lens that is literally
> brand-new out of the box (and that cost 2100 euros besides).

Some stuff the only way to get it right is have it gone though by the repair
people. They'll never get it right the first time. Not the QC from Leica at this
point for a long shot we hope.
A few months ago After a week i brought back a 120 CFi to Camera world for an
exchange and BOY did i feel better afterward. Better than when i got my drivers license!
It had a speck in it and was a little hard to turn.
For those kind of bucks they can leave their specks in Sweden or Germany where
ever the heck.
To me my short telephoto is my bread and butter glass.
I don't like taking peoples money with compromised glass or gear.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/