Subject: [Leica] Photodo MTF ratings
From: Phil Stiles <stiles@s-way.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 09:11:43 -0400

Dear Luggers:
	The recent inquiry about Photodo led me to review the MTF comparisons
for M lenses at that site.
	http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html
	Now I'm not the kind of guy who goes around poking hornets' nests with
a stick, but I was struck by one aspect of this ranking. From this list
I have formed an impression that the 35/1.4 ASPH is one of the shining
stars of the M lineup. Yet photodo actually has it listed with the
lowest of the MTF grades. I grant you, no single number can capture the
nuances of real world optical performance. So is this merely an example
of the inadequacy of such rankings, or are the other lenses just a
little bit "better" (sharper?) in ways that have no real world
significance? Or have I been worshiping a false idol?
	For many years I have used a Nikkor 35/1.4, and that lens photodo rates
at 3.9 (3.8 for the Leica M 35/1.4). My experience with the Nikkor has
been that it's not that great at 1.4, but improves dramatically with a
little stopping down. (Wide open performance does seem to be a major
Leica difference.) Perhaps the ASPH lens performance is weighted to the
wide open (where one would be using the lens), and the photodo average
neglects this aspect.
	Regards,
	Phil Stiles

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Photodo MTF ratings)