Subject: Re: [Leica] Back aches and some! :-)
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:30:09 -0700

Sal wrote:
>>>     What both Ted and I realize as working pros, the one very important
> person who does NOT care about how much stuff you have to carry on an
> assignment is the editor.  They are only interested in what is on their
light table. They can NOT
> print excuses..... If the shot needs a 280mm f/2.8 you better have
one.<<<<

Hi Sal,
Thank you, I forgot the demon of our dreams! ;-)

We are not alone, as there are other LUG members who also suffer the
vagaries of visually challenged editors, OK there are some really good ones
out there. However, I wont get into the ones who do not absolutely care what
the photographers problems are..... they just want to see successful
photographs.

"Oh you broke your leg, son of a bitch eh. But what about the picture?"  And
their sympathy lasts less than your heart beat!  There aren't any
discussions about "which film do you think I should use for pictures of ant
hills in lower slobovia."  You just better bloody well know.

"Oh and editor how do you like the "bokeh effect in the out of focus areas
in the back ground?" Editor response? "I haven't got a god damn clue what
yer talkin about and where the hell is the front cover photo?"

"What kind of lens should I use for this kind of picture and does the summi
do what the summicron does using XYZ film and which would give me the finest
whatever for your wire shot?"

"I'm sorry I didn't have my 35 Summilux aspherical lens to give you the
sharpest possible images in the universe wide open, is that OK?" :-)

And my favourite, "I can't get the TTL M6 to work because the battery seems
to drain everytime I put the camera in my bag  and  the shutter speed isn't
high enough for syncro sunlight flash fill shadow effect!  So what flash do
you think I should use?"

And with that, the editor reaches in his drawer, brings out a very large
bottle of single malt scotch and....... no he doesn't drink it!  He breaks
it over the photographer's head to beat some photographic common sense into
him.

This all sound familiar on the LUG? ;-)

Then there is a screaming sound from the Photo Editor about ten decibels
higher than a Neanderthal in heat at the height of mating season as he
reaches for a knife to dismember the idiot photographer asking dumb ass
questions.

Hey folks it isn't all fun and games out there, despite Sal and I and others
making it  sound like it's all fun, well Ok it is, or we'd be total idiots
for doing it in the first place! :-). But the point is, there are no excuses
... period! And damn few questions when you are handed your assignment
sheet.  You are sent to get pictures and if you come back with some lame
brain prissy ass excuse, you don't work there any more.

I realize many LUG folks are amateurs or advanced users, some far better
photographers than I, but both Sal and I as well as others, generally exist
in a completely different photographic world on a day to day basis of  "no
excuse picture taking."

OK, sure we're paid to do that, come back with a successful shoot everytime,
but that comes from experience, absolutely knowing our equipment better than
the back of our hand, always being prepared, lots of film handy and the
right film always. Spare batteries always & research into what we are
shooting, the research may be as limited as a question and we must
immediately response to the situation.

There are no tomorrows to get it right! There are no excuses, the equipment
must always be working and if it isn't... you have back-up bodies handy.
And if you need a 400, as Sal says a 280, then you whip on a 1.4 extender on
the 280 and turn the lens into a 400! Or if longer is required, on goes the
2X and it becomes a 560. And you are doing this on the run at times.

So, on occasion when we appear to bite at other photographers, it's usually
due to the particular photographer hasn't done any research into the
question or doesn't listen to advice when it is honestly offered by members
of the LUG.

And remember my age old KISS factor.. "keep it simple stupid!" And your life
in photography with a Leica will be far more satisfying. But most important,
whether it's Sal, I or other pros, if you aren't having fun..... no matter
how hard the assignment or project may be,  then get the hell out of it and
whittle wood carvings! :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant