Subject: [Leica] Books
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <SonC@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 13:15:15 -0500

Folks, a recurring topic this week has been books, and while
the one I'm about to recommend is OT for the Leica User's
Group, (though  I'm trying to move the guy to Leica,)  it is
an unusual work.

My friend Ray Carson of Tallahassee, spent several years at
Civil War reenactments, photographing them with modern
equipment, (though dressed as a soldier to blend in.)  He
shot b&w, and then hand colored the prints.   He annotated
them with quotes from letters and journals.  If you have a
chance to look over this work,  please do.  You do not have
to be a history buff to appreciate it.  It is available from
Stackpolebooks.com, as well as Amazon.com  and other
booksellers.

From the catalog description:
"Through combining stark, unposed photographs of Civil War
reenactors with sound historical research, photographer and
reenactor Ray Carson has captured the reality of the common
soldier's life. The book combines the intimacy and intensity
of modern photojournalism with the historical feel of 1860s
photography."

The Civil War Soldier
A Photographic Journey
by Ray M. Carson, with a foreword by James I. Robertson, Jr.
$24.95 ·  PB ·  128 pages ·  75 b/w photos, 56 color photos
·  8 x 11 ·  0-8117-2727-0

Regards.

SonC
http://www.sonc.com