Subject: [Leica] AF, synch speed/shutters, cropping etc.
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 23:48:32 -0400

Sorry I'm lumping a bunch of subjects together - too tired to separate them. Just
back from shooting a race, part of the women's World Cup of cycling here in Montreal.
My M6 was mighty lonely - nary another Leica in sight among dozens of photographers.

I use AF a lot. I bought an F5 for exactly this reason and it is an extremely useful
function. Many of the best photos are taken in hurried situations and there's no
shame in letting the camera do something as mundane as focussing for you. But ALL
autofocus cameras share one tragic flaw: they do not accept Leica lenses. The
difference between even the best Japanese-made lenses and today's Leica glass is
obvious to me every week on my own kitchen light table. It is a fact remarked on by
most photo editors I work with. So AF is always a trade-off for me: focus speed
convenience vs. ultimate optical quality. It's a Faustian bargain.

I used to be one of those who'd get into the "wish list" discussions about what Leica
should do for the next generation of M cameras. Not any more. My only wish is that
Solms should continue making the M6 and not branch off into tangential designs. Oh
sure, there may be a few minor details I think they could tweak on today's M6.
Nothing even worth mentioning here though. No new shutter for me. I like the fact
that my M cameras will be with me until I can no longer see or hold them steady to
shoot. I think breaking dramatically new ground for the M camera now will be a sign
of more trouble to come for everybody.

Don't get me wrong. I love Konica's Hexar RF (although we have not yet resolved that
pesky flange-film distance issue yet, have we gentlemen?). I use it and it does
things I like in certain situations when a Leica M won't do as well. I've recommended
the Hexar RF to a few LUGgers and I think they'll agree with me. I hope Konica makes
some little changes to their camera too. But I also hope these two cameras remain
diverging paths that never meet. East is east and west is west.

Sometimes a client will find in one of my photos an image within an image - usually
within a horizontal. They'll ask if they can crop to get something I may not have
seen or captured. For me, the customer is always right and so I agree with what they
want to do. But for pictures I enlarge for my own use and pleasure, hang in my home
or give as gifts, I never crop at all. I've beaten the bushes to find a printer who
understands what I mean by full frame and he does a great job enlarging my slides.
He's here in Montreal, a Dane named Soren Suse, a master really - I can provide his
numbers if anyone is interested.

For me, in-camera framing is a primordial aspect of creating a successful image. It's
much more important to me than focussing by turning a ring with my own fingers. If I
find later that I need to crop, it means to me that I didn't do my job right - I
wasn't really seeing what was going on right there in front of my eyes.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal