Subject: RE: [Leica] Alternative lenses
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 01:22:26 +0100

Edward Mortimer wrote:

"As we all know Voigtlander are now making M lenses and most reports I have
seen rate them well. Has anyone used or owned one of these lenses? What are
the results like? Build quality?"

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/japan/voigtl01.html covers some examples. I've
got the 15mm Heliar and the compact 35mm 'pancake' and for the money they're
very respectable performers.

If you want a super-wide to put on an M body (or a LTM body) as I did, then
the 12mm or 15mm are the only practical choices (there's a 15mm Hologon in M
mount but they're as rare as rocking horse droppings with prices to match).

I bought the 35mm pancake because I wanted a pocketable M+35mm combination,
and I've been very pleased with it. I don't worry about it getting scratched
if the lens cap comes off in my pocket, because they're as cheap as chips
and it really doesn't matter (not something I'd say about the 35mm f1.4
Asph).

I'm hopeless at looking after equipment (often don't bother with a bag at
all), and I've bounced both lenses off things more times than I can
remember. Nothing's fallen off yet!

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"The more opinions you have, the less you see." -- Wim Wenders.