Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital cropping
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:51:25 -0500

Dave:

>Personally, I don't think digital manipulation is what Leica photography is
>all about. Especially Leica M photography -- which I feel in it's pure form
>is b/w full frame printing.

How far do you take that?  Jim Brandenburg's _Chased by the Light_ is
wonderful.  When you realize that the 90 images were consecutive exposures
and he only had one chance at an image a day, it becomes mind-boggling.  If
cropping from an image is cheating, is tossing out an image also cheating?
Why is eliminating parts of an image any worse than eliminating an entire
image?

I think it was Robert that made an analogy between his photographs and
stones.  Either it works or it doesn't.  But if you chip away enough at a
stone, you can create something truly wonderful.  Take away everything that
makes an image weaker, and you're left with a far better image!

Eric