Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital cropping
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:55:03 -0400

David Rodgers <david.rodgers@xo.com> wrote:

> In a post I just sent out I mentioned that I don't like cropping.
> I think one of the negatives aspects to digital photography
> is that I've really become lazy in my framing. I mean, if I want
> a black border in a silver print I must print full frame. (I know
> there are some work arounds, but they're a pain and they
> just don't look the same). With digital I can crop to my heart's
> content and then just push a key and my macro places a
> black border. (Heck, I can even crop my Leica 35mm negs
> square and put a Hasselblad notch border on them). But is
> cropping good or bad? I always feel as though I missed the
> mark -- i.e. got lazy in my seeing -- if I have to crop. Just
> curious as to what other people think.

I don't have a problem with cropping. To me it's just another technique like
dodging & burning or toning. But I prefer to get the framing right in the
camera. (Imposing restrictions on yourself is good...it encourages decisive
action.) Sometimes it can't be done, though...I have only a 35mm lens with
me when a 50 would be just the thing but I can't get any closer to the
subject. Or I come across a subject that cries out for square or 4:3 (or
whatever) framing. In such cases I'll gladly crop rather than try to force
the composition to suit the lens I've got or fit into the full-frame 3:2
ratio.

- -Dave-