Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: heavy duty travel cases
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:20:25 -0400

on 5/29/01 1:46 PM, Sal DiMarco,Jr. at sdmp007@pressroom.com wrote:

> Luggers,
> There are about twice as many opinions on this subject as there are Lug
> nuts.....
> Exactly, what case you use is a personal choice.
> Just make sure they are securely locked and have name tags INSIDE and
> out.
> I completely agree with Ted, carry a basic kit with you and your film.
> Some airports are X-raying checked baggage with machine which have a 100%
> record in fogging film.
> Personally, I have bright red covers for my Halliburton cases. Using a
> cheap suit case as a cover is another good idea, as is Lightwares' Ugly
> Case.
> Someone recommended using black cases. Well, the problem there is if
> they have to go back to the cargo hold and look for your black case, they
> might not find it when they wave their flashlight around. One photographer I
> know has reflective yellow stripes on his travel cases.
> While everyone has horror stories, most checked baggage goes through
> safely. But using a very good dose of common sense never hurt.
> Happy Snaps,
> Sal DiMarco, Jr.
> Philadelphia, PA

I traveled for years with up to thirty big cases (motion pictures
equipment/sound/lighting etc.) and never lost or had stolen a case anywhere
in the world.  My secret, boldly marked attention drawing labeling and
yellow/black striped safety tape.  My stuff screamed the contents and anyone
walking away with it had to be noticed.  I did carry a Haliburton case with
lenses and my assistant carried a case with meters.

I still ship tripods/lighting and still LOUDLY label.

Who knows

Happy snaps,
Steven Alexander

Replies: Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: heavy duty travel cases)