Subject: Re: [Leica] Speaking of magazines........
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 22:39:09 -0700

Chris Williams wrote:
>>> I've been reading the Canadian magazine Photolife(is that right?) You
know I
> never would have known Bryan Adams was a Leica user.<<<

Hi Chris,
Save your breath he's hardly a photographer of any worth.whether he
"handles, plays or whatever" with a Leica.

His book, "Made in Canada" is an insult to Canadian professional
photographers even though it was sponsored by Kodak and if it were not Bryan
Adams, "personality,"  Kodak would have thrown him out the door.

The unfortunate part is, it was published to raise money for the Canadian
Breast Cancer Foundation and if the photography was even good, it should
have been great given the fund raising it was intended for, it would have
sold more copies.

I bought my copy for two reasons:
The first because the money was going to the Breast Cancer Foundation.
Secondly, to use the book in lectures to illustrate how bad some
personalities can be as "pardon the expression, photographers" in the
loosest of terms and still be published..

In the photo magazine "Photolife" he said his favorite camera was his Leica,
but while shooting the material for the book he used every damn camera and
lighting set up he could get his hands on and when you put a neophyte in a
professional role as a photographer, it's going to lead to very disastrous
results.

Hell if the Leica truly were his favourite camera, he should've stayed with
it and maybe, just maybe, he'd have done an admirable shoot! As is, he
played with all kinds of toys and basically blew the shoot accept for a few
that good ones.

This is a book to see to truly appreciate how bad it is and I'm sure Kodak
had to hold their collective executive noses to complete the sponsorship.
The smart thing would've been to use a "ghost photographer" to do the
shooting, while using the Bryan Adams name as the fund raising photographer

And Chris to quote you one more time:
>>You know I never would have known Bryan Adams was a Leica user.<<<  he may
own a Leica, but that doesn't make him a "Leica user photographer!" Plays
some great music and that's what he should stick to .
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Speaking of magazines........)