Subject: Re: [Leica] Disagreeing is how we learn
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 17:09:07 -0700

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> on 5/26/01 4:58 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com wrote:
>
> > People tell stories with stills same as the flicks.
> > I can't see what the big division is!
>
> the amount of time and money required
>
> Seriously, narrative in stills isn't time based. Movies are time based. It's
> a massive difference. They are entirely, utterly different media.
>
> Go make a movie and you'll see!
> --
> John Brownlow
>
> http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Well I've gone out with a 16mm Bolex and shot black and white footage.
I got to shoot what ever i wanted and it was not THAT different walking up to
people and hitting the shutter button.
And I've made some 3 to 9 minute super 8 films.
Wonder if those edits have held. It's only been 2 or 3 decades.
And as you know I was in a feature film.
And i was filmed (on real film) in a big documentary. (In my darkroom) (Kurt and Courtney)
and the news guys have been over here videoing me a few times on video tape.

Is the difference between stills and filmmaking just a decimal point?
If so that's just money and we were talking esthetics and the morality of
peoples privacy as they walk down the street picking their nose (reasonable
expectation of privacy?!)

I approach film making like it's shooting stills with little theatre thrown in

People act a little more funny when you video them than when you shoot stills of them.
I got a digital 8 this year.
A little more nervous maybe if the video is motion picture film though.
otherwise what the hell!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA