Subject: Re: [Leica] model releases etc.
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:08:46 EDT

In a message dated 5/23/01 5:54:21 PM, SonC@sonc.com writes:

<< Dan,

I could not agree with you more.   I spent many years in a serious career of

photojournalism, working for a major market CBS affiliate.  While there were

many painful moments that I had to record,  I always tried to be respectful

of those people whose lives were being touched by tragedies, large and

small.

When I posted  my street shooting spoof last month of the Boy Scouts, (

http://www.sonc.com/street_shooting.htm )  I got several complimentary

emails, but to my dismay, others thought the picture a serious attempt at

"street photography"  and roundly criticised it with, "that's not street

shooting!"

While I find elegance in much of what is called street photography, there's

a good bit of it that I find demeaning and intrusive to the subjects.  While

some may call it bold, much of it,  while not illegal, is just bad manners.

Regards,

SonC >>

With all due respect, I'm still not sure I understand this artificial di
stinction between "mere street photography" and photojournalism.  Is it the
so-called skills level of photojournalists, the fact that some have gone to
journalism school or what?  To me alot of this boils down to intent, and
whilst I respect photojournalists who truly are willing to dedicate their
lives to tell the story, one has to recognize that there are equally those
photojournalists who hide behind the slogan of "telling the story" as a means
of furthering their egos, reputations, careers and the like.   I'm not sure
why "street photogrphers" should be sneered at, simply because they don't
have a major corporation standing behind them.

Kim

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] model releases etc.)
Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> ([Leica] Re:Street Foto)
Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] model releases (now a safer subject, I hope))