Subject: [Leica] About responses to PAW
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 18:29:00 +0100

Donna-Lee Phillips wrote, among many other good words:

<<...
Second was a rule I also applied without fail, and in my teaching as
well. I NEVER looked at a photograph and critiqued it in terms of how I
would have made the image. I already know how I see the world, or knew
how I was trying to discover seeing. There are, in my world, no right or
wrong ways to make images. The rules of composition etc are like the
rules for writing a proper letter or resume--useless. One size doesn't
fit all, and never has. Not only would I do everything possible to try
to NOT critique a photograph by reworking it so that it looked as it
would if I had taken it, I also generally avoided like poison the
'rules' of good photography. Following the rules of good composition
results in photographs which look like photographs we have already seen.
What is the point?
...>>

How I wish that more people shared your enlightened and enlightening views.

Thank you Donna-Lee.

With Best Wishes,
Malcolm