Subject: Re: [Leica] it's baaaaaaaaaaaaack
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:53:02 -0700

I disagree. I think that this was a classic "crowd effect" hysteria,
and that the group behavior defines the setting in which individuals
behave oddly. Maybe I see it this way because I was a college teacher
for a long time, and I am applying my experiences at springtime
classroom control.

A student who acts inappropriately in front of the entire class will
never act that way in front of an empty classroom. A person's
perception of his audience and what he thinks they are thinking about
him has a very strong effect on the way he thinks about himself.

I'm sure that anybody who manages crowds for a living, be it saloon
keeper, soccer referee, rock music promoter, protest organizer,
or schoolteacher, would share this opinion.