Subject: [Leica] Street Foto
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:57:31 +0200

So many otherwise bold photographers experience a sense of shyness when
taking unsolicited  photographs of people on the street.  Deep, deep
down they are aware that what they are doing is not quite right.

I have a suspicion that a lot of outdoor photographers snap pictures
much like a dog  pisses on trees and lamp-posts.  It is in response to
a primal urge to mark out their territory.  Hence, the mandatory camera
on a foreign holiday, and with family members as portrait subjects
standing in front of so many landmarks.

It follows then that a photographer who takes pictures of perfect
strangers in public must be guilty of a form of photographic rape.

To stretch an anology to its limits, how would you feel if you were
strolling down the street past the local tailor shop, and the tailor
dashed out and took your inside leg measurement without permission.
After all, he must be allowed the freedom to practice his profession.

And I've just ruined my whole argument because I can't resist a laugh.

:-)

Alan (standing in for Susan Sontagg)

Replies: Reply from "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net> (Re: [Leica] Street Foto)