Subject: Re: [Leica] model releases etc.
From: Pete Su <psu_13@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:03:15 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Steve LeHuray <icommag@toad.net> wrote:
> Looks like you are condeming/insulting 10's of thousands of photographers
> including me. I hope you take the time to read what you have been writing.

It seems to me that the question really isn't that simple.

It seems to me that there are situations where the right to publish a photo
conflicts with a private citizen's right to privacy.

If I'm walking down the street and happen across an interesting situation, and
snap the next HCB-esque "man jumping across the puddle" photo, is it really the
case that I have an *inherent* right to publish this photo as I see fit and
profit from it, perhaps hansomly, without asking permission?

OTOH, if I am not allowed to publish such a photo, then we really are turning
our backs on a huge tradition in photography, which is also sort of sad.

The questions presented here do not have easy answers.

I think Mr. Cardish presents one reasonable, though fairly extreme (IMHO)
opinion.  You can't just dismiss it out of hand as an "insult". On the other
hand. But, in the U.S., the first amendment weighs heavily as well.

Pete