Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Large format advice?
From: "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:26:59 -0400

Logan,

Photo.net (http://www.photo.net) has some good information, as does the large
format home page, http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~qtluong/photography/lf/. The later
has some nice camera reviews. The best way to get 6x9, IMHO, is to buy a 4x5
view camera, and get a roll film back to go with it. This gets you the best of
both worlds. Also, I've used a 2 and 1/4 x 3 and 1/4 ( 6x9) Speed Graphic with a
roll film back for years, and have gotten splendid results. A used Speed or
Crown Graphic, either  2 and 1/4 or 4x5 is quite limited in terms of traditional
view camera movements, but these cameras also give you enormous bang for your
buck. I have a "real" 105 mm Voighlander Kolor Skopar (SP?) on mine, and the
results are just stunning.

An aside about processing costs -  I don't know where you live, or what local
prices are in your location, but I find that with my 4x5 rig I can't run film
through it at nearly the same rate I can my M6 ( OK, that makes this Leica
related ), so it tends to even things out. Once you have a 4x5 developing tank
and enlarger doing your own large format B&W work is a real easy.

Barney