Subject: RE: [Leica] film scanner recommendation
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 21:46:36 -0400

> >> In your
> >> opinion, at what dpi is there no improvement in image quality
> >> on this type
> >> of system?
> >
> >Do you mean scanner DPI or print DPI?
> >
> >Scanner DPI is dependent on what your output size is going to be.
> >
> OK, just one post on my little personal crusade about dpi and ppi!
>
> Printers make dots.
> Scanners make pixels.

Those two sentences are correct, but there is more to it than just those two
sentences.

You are scanning "dots" ON the paper you are scanning.  When it is in the
computer, it is a pixel, hence, scanners DO make pixels.  But, it is
entirely correct, to say you scan at DPI, since your reference IS the item
you are scanning, and you are NOT scanning pixels, you are scanning dots.
You are making pixels.

Technically there is NO pixels/inch measurement when talking about scanners
or printers.

Even monitors call them "dots", even though, IMO, that is the one device you
could call them pixels, and be technically correct.  Monitors DO have depth,
and do map directly to the pixel data that is in your computer.

You send the printer pixels that the printer turns the pixels into dots.

> Stop it now!
> ; >)
>
> Henry

Well, then get it right!