Subject: RE: [Leica] Summilux 50mm f1.4 chrome...vs.... ?
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 15:58:00 -0500

Steve,

>>Good! I know that I have no trouble adapting to new stuff, but, with the
50/1.4, I agree with that 'leave well enough alone thinking.' Why spend an
R&D fortune for a tiny increase in performance. The other thing to think
about is the 50/1.4 and 50/1.0 are really very low volume lenses, so would
there really be a big enough market for a new marginally improved lens.<<

I wonder how sales of the 50/1.4 M stack up? I have a
late-but-non-built-in-hood 50, and I find that I use it more than my 35/1.4
ASPH. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the 50. The 35 probably
performs better wide open. But I just like the angle of view of the 50 more.
Conversely, on my R7 I use my 35/2 way more than my 50/2. Again, it's a
focal length issue.

Dave