Subject: RE: [Leica] Summilux 50mm f1.4 chrome...vs.... ?
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:42:40 -0500

Marc

I asked a Leica rep recently if there were plans to update the 50/1.4
Summilux M, in light of the recent 50/1.4 R reformulation. He said that he
wasn't aware of any plans. He said that in order to significantly improve in
the 50/1.4 M optically, they found they'd have to make it as big as a
Noctilux. I assume by "they" he meant Leica's R&D group. He didn't elaborate
specifically. But that was the inference. Granted, this is just hearsay.
I'll leave it at that. IOW, for all I know a new 50/1.4 could be out
tomorrow. But I've known this rep for some time, and he's pretty up front
about such things.

He made another astute comment. He said that the 50/1.4 was one of those
lenses that Leica got very right a long time ago. The 50/1.4 must have been
an incredible lens in the late 60's. As you say, it's still a wonderful
lens.

Dave