Subject: [Leica] Beat the fungus
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 10:46:00 +0100

Ways to beat the fungus. Based on three years in Singapore  with no air-con
in the room my gear was kept in, and many more years working in cold, damp
places.

(Greetings to all the SPLUGgers, hope to be back sometime)

Use your gear and keep it aired - the camera I carried all the time showed
no sign of any fungus. I was careful to empty and dry my Domke satchel after
it got wet (frequently). When going up country I used to carry a ziplock bag
and a few film canisters filled with silica gel and sealed. In the event of
everything getting very wet the idea was to throw the gear into the bag and
seal it up with the punctured canisters.

I stored the stuff not in regular use in a purpose-built drying cabinet.
These are readily available in Sing and I guess in Hong Kong. They remove
moisture from the enclosure (by condensing it) and evaporate it back into
the surroundings. They are very cheap to run, consuming only a few watts.
Tina has mentioned the cheaper way of doing a similar thing - keep your
stuff in a cabinet which is heated gently. A normal incandescent lightbulb
(not a fluorescent or energy-saving lamp) is ideal. It isn't the light that
is preventing fungal growth, it is the low relative humidity caused by
raising the temperature. In industry this is the normal way of preventing
humidity damage in electrical enclosures etc. The absolute humidity level is
unchanged (ie the amount of moisture in the air). The great thing about the
purpose built units is that the relative humidity level is controllable and
known - typically around 50%.

Keep your stuff in an air-conditioned room, or at least a well ventilated
room. (my flat was a little damp, and fungus grew on on a number of things,
including my large collection of videos.)

Sealing cameras in plastic boxes with silical gel doesn't seem to be ideal,
but it does work. Apart from the need to keep regenerating the gel, there is
a danger of over-drying any film that is in the camera. Drying agents like
silica gel can dry to very low humidity levels.

Regards,
Malcolm