Subject: [Leica] Re: 100mm as normal lens? (was: Useful discussion or
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 21:01:07 -0700 (PDT)

Ted Grant wrote:

(Snip) . . . Let me ask.    How many LUGnuts would consider using the R
100mm 2.8 macro or any 100 mm lens, as a "normal lens?"  Or as a better
than 50mm for a broad base of shooting opportunities?

Think about it for a moment before answering and imagine the
opportunities one can use this interesting lens for;  as a kind of
general use, scenic, close-up, portrait, macro, copying and a bunch
more situations. One can even use a 2X extender and make it quickly
into a 200 mm lens or be bold and add a macro extender turning the
standard macro into a super macro for real inside water drop images.

Any thoughts folks along the use of this lens?
ted
Well, Ted, you seem to have plenty of ideas already about using the 100
macro. :-) I rather doubt I can tell you anything you don't already
know but I'll bite! Here goes . . .

I've found that, if I get into the habit of using one particular lens
for a while, it alters my view of things and I start seeing
possibilities that might not otherwise have occurred to me. My short
telephoto lens (a 90 Elmarit) has helped me to:

- - eliminate unwanted things in the foreground, e.g. by being able to
see over the top of people's heads.

- - isolate some attractive or interesting feature of a landscape that
might not be photogenic if a wider view were to be shot.

- - frame portraits tightly with good perspective, yet still maintain a
steady hold on the camera (longer lenses will also do this but aren't
so easy to keep steady).

- - photograph details in architecture without having to get too close.

- - photograph children or interesting "characters" in a street or market
from reasonably far away, so as not to distract them.

- - take candid shots during group activities.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

=====
Ray