Subject: Re: [Leica] Ambivalance & reality!
From: lea <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 19:53:17 -0500

Ted,

Thanks for the suggestion. However...it would be 'me old daughter' and part of
the purpose of the series is to show my progress with a Leica. I'm not afraid of
appearing not to know it all and be the best. I know I'm not...but I'm damn good
when I have to be and that's what counts. :o)

Lea

Ted Grant wrote:

> will be
> > adding these images...the bad, the ugly and the good...to my site.<<<<<
>
> Hi Lea,
> A small word of advice from the old campaigner, "post only the good". ;-)
> Forget the bad and uglies!  Never give anyone the opportunity to see those
> you screwed-up on, because you always want them to see the great/good ones
> leaving them thinking everytime you press the shutter you're an absolute
> whiz of a picture taker. ;-)
>
> Besides, if most are good and you put in uglies, that pulls down the overall
> look of the complete set.Only illustrating on an overall bases you are
> mediocre at best, "oh yeah he had a couple of good ones, but man did you see
> the uglies?" And that's what they remember! Unfortunately is called human
> nature.
>
> And that my friend isn't the image of yourself as a photographer you ever
> want to leave the viewer with.
>
> So me old son,  ..... "good only"....... great for creating the image of
> "you are a very good photographer. ;-) And along those thoughts, I used to
> think I wanted to be the "world's greatest photographer!"
>
> However,  I found out it's far more important in photographic life to be
> recognized as ..........."being a dependable photographer" one editors know,
> without question, they can send you on any assignment and you'll always come
> back with good solid useable images!  And on occasion, you'll have a nice
> diamond or two mixed in there some place.
>
> And the diamonds build your reputation. They are the ones that get published
> and the editors remember. And most important.  No photographer is so good
> that he or she shoots 36 perfect pictures on a 36 exposure roll, no matter
> how delusional the photographer is!
>
> Oh yeah and it takes about 50 years experience as a working professional to
> finally understand and accept that! :-) Have fun and only post good! :-)
> ted

- --
Lea Murphy
Whiny Dog Press