Subject: [Leica] Re: Point Light Source Enlarging
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:10:40 -0700

At 10:44 AM 5/18/01 -0500, Mose, J P wrote:

>Greetings:
>
>I have an opportunity to purchase a Point Light Source head for my Beseler
>enlarger. Other than reading about it in Beseler catalogs, I have never
>heard of personal experiences with this light source (other than scientific
>applications). The catalog states that maximum sharpness is obtained with
>this head.  What's your experiences? I figured if anyone would know, it's
>the LUG experts!
>Thanks.
>
>J. P. Mose

You'll get maximum sharpness, maximum contrast, maximum dust, dirt, and
anything else that happens to be on your film even if so small you cannot
see it to clean away.

You'll have to develop your film to a lower gamma and you must have
exquisitely clean negatives. Grain will be exceedingly sharp. Glass neg
carriers will cause problems of reflection and added dirt surfaces.
Depending on the light source, exposures could be very long.

Other than that... have fun. And make sure that there is a return policy.

:)

Jim