Subject: Re: [Leica] Ambivalance
From: lea <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:46:31 -0500

<<Will also accept reasonable arguments from LUG group members as to why I
shouldn't sell.>>

I am also new to Leica (M6 with a Summicron) and once again new to manual
focusing (EOS sytem for years and Pentax 645N) so I can very much understand
where you're coming from but

WAIT, STOP, WHOA!

Practice makes perfect.

I, too, was having a devil of a time getting my focus down quickly after
having been away for so long. I decided to challenge myself to shoot a
little every day. I found myself carrying my camera every time I left the
house and began a series that I call restaurant shots....images of whomever
happens to be joining me across the table for a meal out. It may be my
daughter, my sister, a friend or a group of friends. The plus to this is
that we are typically sitting still (not many places to run off to in a
restaurant) and since mostly we are just visiting there isn't a real rush
for me to be particularly speedy.

The benefit of this has been some wonderful photos under all sorts of
lighting (some places have more than others, certainly) and I have noticed a
marked improvement in my focusing speed when I go to do other work. I will
be doing a web site with these images in the next month or so.

This exact project might not work for you but maybe you could modify it to
something that fits your life...a spouse leaving for work, a child coming
home from school, cars driving by. Anything that you can shoot on a regular
enough basis to keep you interested and keep you practicing.

It does get easier and faster in time. Good luck.
Lea

Rob Millard wrote:

> It is with a certain amount of ambivalence that I offer the following
> for sale.  I bought this equipment 2 months ago, finally succumbing to
> the allure, mystique, call it what you will, of Leica.  I have been (and
> still am) a long-time Nikon user and mostly take what I would call
> "considered" snapshots working in situations where things were changing
> and in motion.  I use an F100 most of the time, but also own a FE2 and a
> digital Nikon.  I bought the Leica because I was, admittedly, taken with
> claims about the optics and I am also, as it seems are many other camera
> owners, taken with it's "machine beauty."  All that said, I find that
> the focusing on the rangefinder is just too slow (or I should say, I am
> too inept with it) to use this camera (M6 TTL, .72, w/ Summicron-M,
> 50mm, F2.0) in most situations where I typically photograph.
>
> So here they are:
>
> Leica M6 TTL .72 chrome, in mint condition (2 months young)
> Summicron-M, 50mm, F2.0 (also near mint  to mint)
>
> Will sell both for 2,200.00 (US) including shipping. Will also accept
> reasonable arguments from LUG group members as to why I shouldn't sell.
>
> Cheers
> Rob Millard
> romillard@aol.com
> rmillard@erbtest.org