Subject: RE: [Leica] Ambivalance
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:38:46 -0400

Rob,

You of course know far, far more and better than anyone else about your own
picture taking needs, financial needs, personal preferences, and whatever
else goes into making the kind of decision you're talking about here.  I can
only offer you my two thoughts about the matter.  First, if it were I, I
should give myself a lot longer than a mere two months before deciding to
sell the M6, probably a year at least, especially since it is a different
kind of camera---that is to say, a rangefinder camera---and the rangefinder
is the particular aspect of it with which you find yourself "too inept."
We've all heard the expression "Practice makes perfect," and we're all inept
until we learn through practice.  The long history of Leica rangefinder
cameras as the tools of photojournalists, war correspondents, and street
photographers suggests that one can learn to handle them well in "situations
where things [a]re changing and in motion."  And second, it seems to me that
your admitted "ambivalence" all by itself should be sufficient reason to
wait before selling.

Just my two thoughts (maybe worth "two cents," maybe less)!

Art Peterson
Alexandria, Virginia