Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon 1.5 Bokeh
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 21:35:03 -0500

>http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dante/bokeh.jpg
>
>Sorry, guys, the Canon 1.5 has exactly the same type of bokeh the 1.5
>Sonnar and 1.5 Jupiter have (to say nothing of the 1.5 Nikkor).  Those
>triangles in Kyle's picture are something else entirely.  Maybe flare.

Maybe "coma." Although it looks extreme, usually circles with a streamer -
ie, a streamer with a rounded end.  Looks like an icecream cone. As I
remember  it vaguely from when I was grinding telescope mirrors it is
caused by rays which before refraction (lens) are not parallel to the
optical axis and the farther the distance of the image from the center of
the focal plane the greater the distortion.   Try the dreaded Christmas
Tree test.   Lights on the tree may be so deformed and look like little
icecream cones.  End of memory.

Dick Hemingway
Plano, TX

Replies: Reply from "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net> (Re: [Leica] Canon 1.5 Bokeh)