Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG: failed warning
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 17:27:02 -0700

At 01:10 PM 5/17/01 -0600, Chris Quinn wrote:

>Anyway, the tape helps allay my conscience at casually toting around such a
>revered and holy icon, and turns it back into a tool again so that I can use
>it for its one true purpose.

Funny... it is a "revered holy icon" only in the eyes of the reverent. To
the masses, it's a P&S.

My personal opinion is that holding a limited production camera, one that
is obscure to anyone other than the "reverent" is placing far too much
importance on the worth of the camera in the eyes of the irreverent.

Many years ago, Oddmund was on a rant about photographing farmers in India
with a Leica. His point being that it showed far too much separation
between the class of the photographer and the class of the poor farmers. It
was demeaning to the farmer. Like a poor farmer in India was aware of
anything resembling a Leica. Or any camera for that matter. Now if you
showed up driving the latest model John Deer...

In the eyes of the uninitiated and irreverent, what does an M6 look like?

When I write with my "1930 Moss Agate Waterman Patrician" fountain pen, how
many people know how much it is actually worth? Only the "pen reverent."
Certainly not the irreverent masses. Those you meet by the drove while
photographing or writing.

As always, this is just my humble opinion. Anyone may, of course, do
anything they wish to their own camera. Run over it with a truck, stick
tape all over it, take it swimming...

Whatever keeps you clicking.

Jim

Replies: Reply from brougham3@yahoo.com ([Leica] Re: LUG: failed warning)