Subject: Re: [Leica] Black tape flavors?
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 08:34:38 -0500

Steve expertly replied about the camera tape controversy
:
>  I just went and compared my 'camera tape' which I use on
my
> Eclair NPR (in red, yellow or black) with my silver
'gaffer tape' and it is
> the same material. The yellow tape around the cans of
Kodak cine film is a
> tape that i have never seen anywhere for sale.

SonC offered personal experience and also researched the
matter:

You're right;  According to FilmTools' catalog, they share
the same specs except width. Camera tape is 1 inch, and
Gaffer's Tape is two and three inches.  Obviously, Kodak has
changed the tape since I was involved in motion picture
work.

They formerly used a white tape on motion picture stock very
much like medical or sports tape.  It was printed with the
film type, and we used it to ensure our CP or Aaton mags
were tightly shut and to remind us, if necessary of the
stock loaded in the magazine.  When the film went back in
the cans, we marked the tape roll numbers and other
production data.

> Also somebody mentioned that gaffer tape is a high quality
duct tape, I do
> not think that is true, they are not even closely similiar
except for both
> being tape.

SonC actually said:
"Gaffer tape is an expensive version  of duct tape used to
do all jobs except
duties on the camera."

A good duct tape and gaffer tape share many specifications,
if you're interested,  here's a link to follow for full
specs:  http://www.permacel.com/navframe_arts_menu.htm
(link may wrap in sending)

Duct tape was invented for the U.S. Military during World
War II. The original use was to keep the moisture out of
ammunition cases.  (I've also heard it was used to cover gun
ports in carrier based aircraft to reduce drag during
take-off.)

Regards,
SonC