Subject: Re: [Leica] image quality has nothing to do with art but photography isn't ne
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 12:41:49 -0500

Doug Herr replies:

> If I must choose between technical quality and the message in the photo I'll
> also choose the message over technical quality, but the two are not mutually
> exclusive.

Sure I understand stand that, occasionly technical imperfections can
actually enhance a photograph. I think this is probably dumb luck on the
photographers part.

> If I have a choice between the message with technical imperfections and the
> same message executed perfectly, I'll go with the technically perfect photo.

Of course. And it depends on the genre of the subject matter. For my
magazine work over the years I use SLR's and shoot in color and if I have a
fuzzy photo it will NOT run. In the context of my message I was referring to
my B&W Street Photography (which I do for fun) using the M cameras. In this
particular genre, mistake or not, your fuzzy photo may be considered
'genius.' I am not ready for THAT yet. :)

> It's the well-executed message I'm looking for.

And rightfully so. The photos on your web site of birds are mezmerizing,
brilliant. And that comes from somebody who HATES birds (they poop on my
car). I visit your site periodically because of the perfection of your work,
not the birds.

> If the message alone was my
> objective, I'd be using a Zenit or Seagull SLR with an inexpensive mirror
> lens.

I somewhat disagree with that because in the hands of an expert you can use
that Leica to make your message clearly, whether it be fuzzy or not.

> Using a Leica(flex), there's at least a chance of combining the
> message with technical quality, depending on my technique.

I agree.

> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com