Subject: Re: [Leica] Formal education needed?
From: Barney Quinn <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:02:25 -0400

Erwin and Stephen,

This is out of hand. It needs to be stopped, IMHO, for several reasons. You are both
doing real damage to your credibility as experts. Continue and you both run the risk
that other readers will, with justification, ignore you both. I don't know what it
is between you two. But, it begins to sound more and more like a personal problem to
me. Carrying that kind of stuff around inside harms you both as people. Lastly, and
perhaps most important, the situation between you both isn't good for the group as a
whole. What sane person wants to post messages in an environment where anything they
say gets severely challenged on both a personal and professional level? Who wants to
participate in an endeavor one key feature of which appears to be some kind of
sibling rivalry? If what's going on continues it will, at some considerable cost,
polarize and politicize the group.

I believe that each of us has gifts, and that we each, from time to time, has
something to put on the table. I'd prefer that we spend our time celebrating each
other's strengths, not turning them into weaknesses. Formal education, per se,
usually doesn't lead to either wisdom or spiritual strength. What you are both doing
may be "right" in some aggressive, competitive sense of the word. It isn't, however,
wise. Please stop and cool down before you both manage to do some unnecessary damage
which can't be easily repaired. How important, under the circumstances, is it to
prove yourself  "correct" particularly at the cost of branding yourself as someone
with a problem?

Stop and think. Just think.

Barney

Message from Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com> (Re: [Leica] Formal education needed?)