Subject: Re: [Leica] supporting leica!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:33:08 -0700

leica@davidmorton.org wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> "I can imagine reaching into my camera bag in front of a pressured art
> director.
> She/he is thinking:
>
> "Get this is exciting!! This photographer with this Leica system is putting
> ^%$#@ on his camera!
> I'm sure he knows its EVERY much as good as that Summicron lens he's taking
> off
> his camera!"
>
> I'm fascinated. Do you *really* have art directors who a) know one make of
> lens from another and b) try to tell you which make and model of lens you
> should use? Do you not worry that they don't trust your judgement?

The art directors here at Widen and Kennedy all use M's! Even the new ones with
the meters!:)
They also think its cool to pull out a Holga.
They are very much into brand names and hype being hype artists themselves.
They've swallowed the Leica hype hook line and sinker just as i have.
These are not "standard of the industry" people but "engineering turned into
art" people when it comes to gear and thinking out of the box. Other lesser
agencies and art directors here and elseware strive for the same mind set.
If i dropped my M i have a backup. One black one chrome. My wife might also let
me borrow her m6.
If i dropped my 90 apo Asph Summicron I have an 90 Elmarit.
If i dropped my 135 3.4 apo i think i could pull it off with a 90 and crop it bit.
If i dropped my 50 Summicron I'd bring my wife 50 Elmar collaspible which is excellent.
If i dropped my 35 I'd shoot it with my 50 or 24 I'll have a 28 in a year or so.
Or shoot it with the 50 on my Hasselblad.
If i dropped my 24 I'd have to use my Nikon 24 with a Nikon body whose battery i
hope i took out so it's not leaking into the camera. One of my 4 Nikon bodies is
bound to still work. Where did i put them?
In the near future I'll be getting a 21. I've never had anything that wide before.
I'd rent a Hasselblad superwide if i had a cramped deal like that or rent a 21
for the Nikon if it really had to be 35mm film. or rush finance a Leica 21 if
the job was important enough.
I'm not going to buy a Cosina lens as a quick fix. I'll buy a Leica lens with a
little extra financial help. As a house owner they love lending money to me.
They WANT be to have Leica glass. But i can usually save and wait.
I've gone the Nikon route before, from 1974 to 1993 roughly. Bored with it.
It's standard of the industry solid stuff but I'd rather shoot with the best.
That's why i do so and am here on the Leica list.
To be here talking up the acquisition of Nikon, Cosina, Canon, Contax whatever
makes less sense here as this is the Leica list.
I think i'm talking sense!
Mark rabiner