Subject: RE: [Leica] Flange measurements
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 01:55:18 +0100

Dante A. Stella writes:

[lots of good stuff snipped]
"Then later today, someone sent me an email message indicating that
he measured his Hexar (with something called a depth gauge) to be
0.008mm from 27.80mm.  Putting two and two together, I would then wonder
if

    1.    Konica's measuring device is somehow different; or

    2.    That different people may be measuring different ways."

This would certainly explain the current connundrum; that people aren't
reporting the significant repeatable softness that one might expect when
mounting Leica lenses on Konica bodies or vice versa.

One solution, would be to turn the problem upside down, and measure the back
focus of a 50mm Konica Hexanon lens and a 50mm Summicron M.

Since the Konica lens is designed for the Konica body, and the Leica lens
for the Leica body, if the back focus distances are different by design,
then one would expect to see this manifested in the lenses too.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

Wapingapo fahali wawili, ziumiazo ni nyasi