Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: 6x9/6x7/6x4.5 rangefinders
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:47:46 -0500

Mark

I'm really struggling with which format to shoot these days.

I just picked up my 35mm photos of the pit; that huge construction project
in Portland's Pearl district. One whole city block dug down 80 ft or so. Six
big caterpillar shovels digging out the final yards of dirt. I shot 3 rolls
of K64 and a roll of Provia 100F, using my M6. At least half the shots were
taken from the top of the building next door. I had the M mounted on a
Gitzo. I used my 21/2.8 ASPH, 35/1.4 ASPH and 90/2.8.

The trannies are plenty sharp for 35mm. But they just don't do the scene
justice. Shot the same thing with my Rollei TLR. Even though I was shooting
Provia 400F in 120, instead of Provia 100F in 35, there's significantly more
detail. Plus, not really thinking I hand held the Rollei.

There are many times when 35mm just doesn't cut it. I'm going to break out
my Toyo 45A and redo the shoot tomorrow morning. One thing 35mm did do for
me was give me a much better idea of where to shoot with 4x5. No way could
have taken 100 4x5 images, or shot from so many angles.

This really caused me to think. I go to great lengths to sqeeze all I can
out of 35, and a larger format just blows it out of the water. It's not even
a contest. Convenience of 35, vs image quality from larger formats. It's an
ongoing dilemna.

Dave