Subject: Re: [Leica] More on my dealer: this is important to me
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 17:38:16 -0700

If I understand correctly, you bought a used (although described as mint)
camera from a dealer you knew was not an official Leica dealer. There was no
warranty of any kind agreed upon as part of the transaction. The camera
worked fine when you purchased it and only thereafter developed what at
first was an intermittent problem.You didn't notify the dealer right away
that there was a problem, but waited about five weeks to do so.

While it might be good business on the dealer's part to offer to help you
out, I don't think you have any legal recourse. It doesn't sound like the
dealer misrepresented his product or made any assurances to you that he
hasn't fulfilled. Mechanical things can break down. You chose to purchase a
camera without a warranty. If the camera was defective when you bought it,
things might be different, but your original post made it sound as though
the camera worked perfectly when you took it out of the store. If you expect
the dealer to pay for the repair, I think you also have some obligation to
notify him as soon as you have a problem.

"Outing" this dealer here as being dishonest or disreputable might make you
feel better, but strikes me as smearing him for not agreeing to do something
he never agreed to do in the first place.

Whether it seems that way or not, a warranty (especially on a used item) is
reflected in the price you pay for the item. There are dealers who warranty
their used equipment, but they usually charge more than those who don't. If
you don't pay for a warranty, you don't get it.

Just my .02

Bryan