Subject: Re: [Leica] A question of a dealer's responsibilities and ethics
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 07:01:40 -0600

Legally there is not much you can do. Always discuss warranty and return
policy before buying anything new or used. If warranty and return policy is
important to you, make sure it is written on the bill of sale. Buying used
means that you are not buying new. When buying used do not expect a new
camera with all of its benefits of proper warranty and full
distributor/manufacturer support. If there are defects report them
immediately. A return policy is not a lifetime warranty.

Okay that was the harsh stuff. Personally I feel the dealer should cover the
repair assuming this was a normal deal. The problem sounds difficult to spot
with a typical inspection so this is just as much a surprise to the dealer
as it is to you. Remember this means that the dealer will lose money on the
sale so it is a hard pill for them to swallow. You are both now in a hard
place so why not negotiate a resolution. I think now you should ask for the
dealer to split the repair costs for good will reasons. It may not be the
ideal solution but it is better than nothing and rancour all around.

John Collier