Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Help: P&S vs. my M3
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 17:39:28 -0400

2001-05-08-16:25:50 shino@ubspainewebber.com:
> make sure to take pictures with various P&S's .  some of them have
> absolutely dreadful shutter latency... something that may particulary
> drive a leica-user crazy.

Oh, yeah -- that's one of the many problems with most P&S's.  The
Olympus I recommended has, in common with most cheap point'n'shoots,
the problem that focus is locked electronically, but the lens isn't
driven into position until exposure time.  Others, at the GR-1 level
and above, drive the lens into focus position at focus-lock time.

Except... the Stylus Epic uses a pretty fast motor to focus the lens.
Much faster than, say, the Yashica T4.  So the lag isn't as bad as you
might fear.

Still -- I wouldn't depend on a P&S for anything really important
anyway, because with any of 'em you never really know what the thing's
decided to focus on until you get the pictures back.  I'm talking
about a cheap, light, drizzle-resistant backup whose pictures are
surprisingly good, not a main working camera.

Oh, another minor nit WRT the Stylus Epic: the viewfinder... exit pupil
or whatever you choose to call it is smallish, so sometimes you can't
slap it up to your eye really quickly and find the place to look
through.  I still think the camera represents a good set of
tradeoffs;  YMMV as always.

I was saying -- buy one of these for pocket change, drop it in the
bag, *and* get the lens you think you need for your M -- since the P&S
is practically free in Leica terms.

Message from shino@ubspainewebber.com (Re: [Leica] Re: Help: P&S vs. my M3)